• You are here:
  • Home

Spring is here !

07 May 2018

Spring is finally here and it’s the ideal time to make your garden look glorious. However, if you’ve got a cat roaming around, you’ll need to be mindful of what you’re planting. Some beautiful blooms can be poisonous to felines, including lilies, chrysanthemums and marigolds.

To help you keep your cat safe, we’ve put together a handy guide showing what plants to avoid, what poisoning symptoms to look out for in your cat, and what you should do if you think they’ve eaten a poisonous flower or plant. Happy gardening!

Lilies are one of the most dangerous plants for felines. Most commonly ingested from cats getting pollen on their fur and then licking it off, they are particularly toxic – from the stamen and pollen to the flower itself. Other outdoor plants to watch out for include sweet peas, snowdrops and poppies. Take a look at our visual guide on poisonous plants for tips on how to keep your cat safe.

http://www.cats.org.uk/uploads/documents/COM_3113_Floral_Outdoor_v2.pdf
 

How will I know if my cat has eaten something poisonous?

Some of the most common signs are:
- increased thirst
- confused/uncoordinated
- drooling
- difficulty breathing
- fitting/seizures
- vomiting

What should I do if I think my cat has eaten something poisonous?

If you’re worried that your cat has ingested something, take them to a vet immediately. Give your vet information about what you think your cat has consumed and make sure you keep all other pets away from the source. Don’t wait for symptoms or assume they will go away. Don’t try to make your cat vomit or feed them salt water.

For a list of dangerous plants and flowers, visit www.cats.org.uk/dangerous-plants